3 - 4 courses of exceptionally flavorful, plant-based food free of gluten, dairy and refined sugar.
Walk away with a recipe packet, unique and easy ways to add plant power to your menus, new friends and a pleasantly full belly.
- 2 - 2 ½ hours demo-style
- 10 students maximum to maximize learning and foster a casual and social experience.
- Cost is $75.
- Located at public venues and home kitchens around Portland.
- Contact Lauren to sign up for a class or to discuss other class topics.
For the Love of Lentils
Packed with fiber and protein, lentils are the fast food that’s super tasty and delicious. Sample dishes: Finnriver Black Currant Cider Lentil Salad; Hearty Spanish Pardina Lentil Burgers; Pickled Sunrise Lentils
Adding Flavor with Fresh Herbs & Spices
Explore ingredients and techniques that will boost the flavor of your meals without resorting to salt, fat and sugar. Sample dishes: Quinoa Herb Salad; Creamy Polenta with Herbs; The Greenest Soup
Salad Season is Every Season
Be inspired to prepare salads throughout the year. Expand your repertoire of recipes and ingredients, discover unexpected ways to toss together familiar ingredients, and pick up new techniques. Sample dishes: Sorrel & Seed Salad, Grilled Bread, Eggplant & Radicchio Salad; Sweet Miso Kale Salad
Veggies & Their Greens
Don’t neglect the “upper half” of your veggies! Discover simple ways to integrate those nutritious stems and leaves into your diet. Sample dishes: Borscht & Beet Green Chips; Radish & Fennel Salad with Radish Green Dressing; Stir-fried Baby Turnips & Turnip Greens
Know Your Pulses – Favorite Fruits of the Musical Variety
Expand your bean horizons and discover satisfying and versatile beans of varying shapes, sizes, colors and textures. No need to be overwhelmed by cooking beans. Take home techniques and recipes that make it easy to have beans become a staple in your diet. Sample dishes: Crunchy Roasted Bean & Radicchio Salad; Warm Scarlet Runner Beans with Herbs; Asparagus & Refried Pebble Bean Quesa(dillas)
Tender Green Shoots & Their Tough Green Friends – Eat ‘em before they bolt!
Simply taking the step of adding more greens to your diet will have a great impact on your health. Learn fresh ideas for integrating all types of greens into your every day. Sample dishes: Chard Wraps with Quinoa, All the Greens & Mint Cilantro Chutney; Kale Doritos; Green Smoothie
Lauren has taught cooks of
all ages, skill levels and dietary preferences.
- Hollywood Senior Center, Living City PDX Cooking Camp, Kaiser Permanente, Good Keuken, Whole Foods Market, Kwan Yin Healing Arts, DAYA Foundation, University of Oregon Urban Farm, School Garden Project, LEAD, Committed Partners for Youth, Northwest Youth Corps, FOOD for Lane County Youth Farm - Oregon
- Free Arts for Abused Children, El Puente Academy for Peace and Justice - New York
- Share Our Strength's Operation Frontline, Integral Yoga - Massachusetts
Upgrading Your Pantry
Out with the old, in with the new. A stocked pantry means there is never a shortage of inspiration for your menus, plus it'll save you money and time with fewer trips to the grocery store. Learn how to make magic out of your pantry (coupled with a few fresh produce items, of course). Sample dishes: Salad Rolls with Almond Sauce and Mango Chili Sauce; Dal; Honey Amaranth Bars